18 April 2011

Mediterraneo: Updated

Location: Ngong Road in Junction Shopping Center next to Java House, Westlands in Pamstech House on Woodvale Grove between Lower Kabete and Mpaka (now closed), Westlands at NineWest; Runda near the UN
Price: Entrees 800-1400 KSH (approx. $10-17.50)
Atmosphere: The Westlands location has a smaller, more intimate atmosphere, but the balcony and patio seating at Junction is nice as well. It's nicer to go later in the evening to the Junction location as the patio is directly next to Java House and it gets quite busy and noisy there during mall hours. 

I don't eat at Mediterraneo that often, but when I do it never disappoints. Everything from the bread basket with garlic butter to their tiramisu has never failed to be anything less than tasty. I usually like to branch out and try new things but I admit, I found one dish I can't part with and I order it every time I dine here. Their Tagliatelle al Granchio alla Fiorentina with Lamu crab (KES 950 ) is one of the most amazing things I have ever tasted and I can't bring myself to order anything else. It has the most delectable spinach double cream sauce mixed with pasta and crab meat presented in the crab shell. I would also recommend the margherita salad (KES 600) as an appetizer. It's definitely large enough to share and comes with rows of mozzarella cheese, avocado, cucumbers among other veggies. They have an extensive selection of wines, but their house wine is decent and more affordable than the bottles off the wine list.  

Updated: After many years in Nairobi, I still love this place. Even though the tagliatelle is no longer on the menu, I have found if you ask nicely they will still serve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment