28 April 2013

Angelo's Restaurant

Billed as an "Afritalian cafe" on the beachfront at Shark Rock Pier there is not much Italian or African about the cuisine. It did have a few pasta dishes, some Thai platters, burgers, and several salads.  However, the ambiance is great with two patios overlooking the Indian Ocean. The restaurant is located on the "boardwalk" next to the KFC and below Barney's (a brewhouse with great live music). The food is very inexpensive, a full plate of pasta or half portion with a garden salad is only 49R. My friend commented that we only spent USD3 more per person than we did for our seafood takeaway at lunch and we had a bottle of wine in addition to our dinner. 

Unfortunately, the food is only mediocre and the service left much to be desired. The best I can say is everything was edible. The waiter swore to my friend (who did not have a lot of vegetarian options to choose from on the menu) that the tuna was fresh and absolutely did not come from a can. Hmmm, how does one flake "fresh" tuna into something that appears to have been scraped out of a can onto a salad? 

While I have never been a waiter, my brother worked for several years in the service industry. One thing I learned from him was always write your orders down. I don't care how long you have been a waiter or how good a memory you have, if not for your benefit, at least for the peace of mind of your customers. People get distracted and forget things; it's human nature. Not surprisingly I ended up with the wrong pasta and when they replaced it with the prawn dish I originally asked for I had a whopping four, count them, FOUR prawns mixed in with my linguine. Woo. 

So if you happen to find yourself in Summerstrand, PE and want to relax with an ocean view then start at Angelo's with a glass of wine (I mean it's SA, can anyone here screw up the wine?) and then walk across the road to the Boardwalk entertainment complex and check out the other Italian restaurant, Leonardo's, or better yet enjoy a Greek feast at El Greco where they have friendly service and a great meal. 

The view was the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment