20 February 2014

Nairobi Restaurant Week 2014

Restaurant Week found Nairobi this February.  For foodies residing in Nairobi, the heavens rejoiced.  Numerous eateries participated in the event and, due to overwhelming demand, a number of restaurants extended their special menus an extra week to encourage new patrons to feast at their locale.

While there was quite a selection to choose from, there were many "repeats" included (multiple locations of the same restaurant, e.g. Seven and Mediterraneo), seemingly trying to boost the list's numbers participants.  There was definitely more than few restaurants I was disappointed to see were not participating.  However, I must commend EatOut Kenya for doing a spectacular job organizing big name sponsors and restaurant options for this inaugural event.  The restaurants I visited were well prepared with restaurant week magazines, organized and eager for restaurant week patrons, and their staff was knowledgeable about the  event and menu options.  Furthermore, the #NRW2014 website was well organized and easy to navigate making it simple to choose a dining locale, view the set menu, and make a reservation.


I also thought that the two price options was a smart move on NRW's part; I think that having a lower price point of 1250 KSH probably encouraged some patrons to reconsider booking when they saw that there was a more cost conscious option than the 1750 KSH fixed price.  That said, while I did not personally visit any of the restaurants offering the lower priced meal option and cannot attest for the options, based on past experience and reviewing the menus, it did not necessarily seem like that the 1250 price tag was actually saving patrons money by participating in the set menu, especially for locations that appeared to be "fancy" fast food joints or cafes. 

However, I did partake in a few dinners at several restaurants I had been meaning to try out.  My only rule for making a reservation was that it had to be somewhere I hadn't previously visited and somewhere I wouldn't normally go, meaning I ate at places that were either new, inconveniently located, or were pricier than I would normally spend for an evening out with friends.  Stay tuned for forthcoming reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment