30 May 2011

Sierra Bar and Brasserie

Location: Yaya Centre, the bar is on the 2nd floor next to the food court and the restaurant and terrace is upstairs on the 3rd floor
Price: Starters and platters cost between KES 500-1800 ($6.25-22.50), entrees range between KES 800-1800 ($10-22.50), beers KES 180-200 ($2.25-2.50), wine KES 350 per glass (~$4.40)
Atmosphere: While the restaurant is located inside Yaya, which doesn't sound like the place you want to go for a fancy dinner, once you're seated on the terrace (or beer garden as they refer to it) you don't even think about the fact that you're at a mall.  However, the same can't necessarily said about the lounge on the 2nd floor.  It is directly next to the food court and surrounded by shops so you don't get the same quiet effect as when you dine upstairs.

Food-wise I have not been disappointed with anything I've tried here.  I particularly like their gouda cheese burger and the marinated halloumi. The menu is very westernized and even includes a background on where they source their beef. Similar to Brew Bistro, Sierra brews their own beer, which can also be purchased at supermarkets throughout Nairobi. They serve three beers year round (Amber, Blonde, and Porter) with four seasonal options only available during certain times (Oktoberfest, Maibock, Coffee Ale, and Pale Ale). I personally prefer the Sierra Blonde. The only other beer I have tried was the Coffee Ale and I was not impressed, but I'm a bit picky the dark beers I like so take it for what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment